Friday 25 October 2013

Story: The Disappearance (XII)

(Part XI , XIII)

Two days into the past, I knew I had to use this second chance wisely. Nothing could have persuaded me to go talk to myself and confuse the timeline even further. Instead, I comforted Agnes and asked her to come to the Old University with me. Rolf was a problem, but between us we managed to get him on the train and excused his unconsciousness with my PCDD badge. Finally, after spending most of our ready cash, and borrowing a wheelchair from our destination station we rolled into my secret old lodgings in academia. The owl was still there, and the books, and it felt just as much like home as it always had. Home.

Agnes and I had spoken little during the journey, Rolf's unconscious presence being an unbreakable barrier between us. The cosy surroundings of these rooms far from the scene of our bizarre adventure seemed to relax her, and she stared at all the books transfixed. It wasn't often you saw a such eclectic collection, studded as it was with large subsets on Egyptology, Mathematics, Chemistry and Criminology.

Some words flowed between us: A question. "Just who are you, anyway? I've seen personal libraries before but this is spectacular and bizarre! What's a police officer doing with rooms and books like this, and why hide it away? You're a researcher, aren't you? And connected to one of the most prestigious university towns in the world." She was more exasperated than curious, it seemed, as if all my previous reserve had rankled her enormously.

The computer button was pressed and the machine dutifully began to warm up, as I secured Rolf and then turned to Agnes. "All shall be revealed, but not now." She removed her shoes and wriggled her toes in a patch of deepest carpet. "And not by me. Lily will tell you all tomorrow I'm sure. And don't ask me about Lily as she'll be sure to tell you all about herself in quick smart fashion."

E-mail to agent Carter:
"Sharon, Code 29, I have to stay away until 13:00 Thursday. Come down to Woolford after I leave work at lunchtime tomorrow. Bring restraints and take precautions. Agnes McGonagle is here too and in same scrape."

Now I would have backup. I noticed Rolf watching me silently, as silently as he must have come to from his stupor. Agnes saw me notice and then noticed herself. I grabbed her before she could make a scene. "You, guest room, now." I uttered in an almost commanding tone and watched her grumpily until she was through the door. Then I checked the bathroom was secure, untied Rolf and shoved him in there, with suggestion of doing everything he needed to do and that I would check in five minutes. Then I waited.

All the old ways came crashing back in on me as I sat in my old living room once again, and I reached for a favourite novel before Agnes caught me, peeking as she was from her guest room.

"Who are you really?"

"I'm just a dusty professor who saw some things and then went into the big bad world."

"Bad things?"

"Yes."

"You'll see worse things if I don't get my turn in the bathroom soon."

Sighing, I checked on Rolf and performed the bathroom switch. We wouldn't get another chance to chat alone for a while.


More shall follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment